As you age, it is natural for your activity level to decrease and for aches and pains to develop. Some pain is normal, but stiffness and pain felt around one or more joints can be a sign that inflammation has settled in and symptoms of arthritis have begun. If you are one of the estimated 50 million Americans with arthritis, try one of these alternative remedies for pain before taking a prescription medicine.
- Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acid, which reduces inflammation and morning stiffness. These acids are found in fish such as mackerel and salmon.
- Glucosamine relieves pain, increases joint mobility and reduces deterioration of cartilage. A study by the National Institute of Health showed glucosamine relieved pain more effectively when combined with chondroitin.
- Chondroitin strengthens joints by helping cartilage absorb water to keep joints lubricated and reduce pain.
Herbs and Spices
- Turmeric is a spice used in many Asian dishes to give the food color and flavor. Studies have shown that the anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric help relieve pain.
- Ginger relieves soreness in joints and reduces inflammation. It is available in capsules, extracts or you can add dried ginger to your food.
- Olive leaf extract is popular in the Mediterranean to ease pain and inflammation from arthritis.
- Willow bark tea reduces pain and inflammation but it may take a few days of use to show results.
- Juices, such as pineapple, pomegranate and cherry are used to relieve symptoms of swelling, pain and inflammation. Combinations of beets and berry wine, cranberry and blackstrap molasses or apple cider vinegar and honey have also been helpful in reducing pain and inflammation for some people.
- Studies recommend lowering the amount of fat in your diet and limiting dairy products, caffeine and sugar.
- Fresh vegetables, fruits with low acid content, fish, soybeans and avocados are helpful for treating symptoms of arthritis. In addition, you can eat cherries and pineapple frequently to ease inflammation.
- Some natural oils will sooth the pain of arthritis. Massage hot castor oil, arthcare oil, emu oil or camphor mixed with coconut oil on affected joints. You can also soak in a hot Epsom salt bath or massage hot vinegar on the sore joints for relief.
One or more of these natural remedies may be the right one for you and can help you to stop your arthritis pain without the need for potentially dangerous medications.
Provided by Alyxx Trace, a health and sports blogger who covers auto racing and herbal medicine, Deepak Chopra and Scott Tucker.